Wednesday, October 1, 2008

the gonzo tapes



...No other person has shaped my world quite as indelibly as Hunter S. Thompson. His gonzo spirit (while often self-destructive) is still the chief compass that guides my life. So it will not come as a surprise that the following news (which I recently stumbled across in Rolling Stone magazine) feels like a major world headline.



"The Gonzo Tapes, a five-disc set of unreleased recordings by Rolling Stone’s own Hunter S. Thompson, will be released on October 28th. Compiled while filmmakers were producing Gonzo: The Life And Work Of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, the audio on The Gonzo Tapes was recorded between 1965 and 1975, with Thompson using the tapes to capture his thoughts and descriptions of what was happening around him or to look back at what he experienced. Thompson’s widow granted permission to director Alex Gibney, producer Eva Orner and archivist Don Fleming to go through the tapes that were stored in boxes in the basement of Thompson’s Woody Creek, Colorado home. Disc 1 on the collection will feature Thompson’s year riding with the Hell’s Angels, Discs 2 and 3 both draw from his novel Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Disc 4 covers Thompson’s exploits between 1973 and 1974 and the fifth disc features his 1975 trip to Saigon. The cover features original artwork by Ralph Steadman and the package will contain essays by Gibney and Thompson’s fellow foreign correspondent Loren Jenkins."

1 comment:

Intrepidflame said...

These tapes will change everything, and I mean EVERYthing! I just pre-ordered the set along with Gonzo the DVD.

I went to Powell's my new place to buy books, but they didn't have them, so I had to go to Amazon. Now I wait patiently till they arrive at my door.

I am beyond excited.